Castillo de San Marcos
This view of the north wall was taken from the gun deck. The impressive doorway in the center of the photo was designed in 1785 by engineer Mariano de la Rocque and leads to the Chapel of the St. Mark. There are a few details of note in this image: stacks of cannonballs, hints of red paint (the Castillo was once painted white with red towers and trim), a small coat of arms above the doorway, and two artillery pieces on the gun deck above. The cannon at left is a 15-inch mortar and was forged in Barcelona in 1724.
Fountain of Youth Park
The folks at the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park are always adding new points of interest to the historic grounds, and on our most recent visit we found this owl totem in the reconstructed Timucua Indian village. According to the Jacksonville Historical Society, the Timucuas often viewed owls at bad omens but could also see good fortune in them depending on the circumstances.
(c) 2015-2017 St. Augustine Fridays