Thursday, May 19, 2016

May 20, 2016



Castillo de San Marcos


 On my most recent visit I had the pleasure of exploring the moat and coming "up close and personal" with walls that have been in place since the 18TH century. I even ran my hands over the coquina and everything (yes, I am a self-proclaimed history nerd). From my vantage point down in the moat I was able to see things from a different angle, looking up at the first drawbridge and the edge of the ravelin with a new perspective. Work on the ravelin, which was meant to be enlarged and fitted with a powder magazine, was abandoned in December 1762 just 7 months before the British arrived. There are, to my knowledge, no artistic renditions showing how it was supposed to have looked, though there may be blueprints or Spanish accounts that I haven’t yet discovered.

Fountain of Youth


This is a typical scene in the Fountain of Youth Park: sprawling aloe plants and cacti at left, a palm tree at center stage, decorative pots and cheery mulch strewn about, and a few sunning peacocks. These paths are so peaceful and beautiful even in a rainstorm (and I should know). Some of the peacocks are pretty tame and will venture closer for food, but for the most part they try to avoid humans. That doesn’t prevent them from showing off their tail-feathers, though. They may be aloof, but they love to showcase their bright plumage. 


(c) 2015-2016 St. Augustine Fridays 

No comments:

Post a Comment