Thursday, April 7, 2016

April 08, 2016



Castillo de San Marcos


This interesting palm-log wall is called the Cubo Line, and it holds an important place in St. Augustine’s history. Back when the city was called San Agustín and you had to be Spanish or at least Catholic to even entertain any hopes of living there, the British were a constant threat. So the Spanish built the Cubo Line, which began at the Castillo and helped defend the town. The original wall was begun in 1737 and was repaired in the 1770s. The defenses were reincarnated in the late 1700s/early 1800s in a more modern form, and it still existed in some form in 1818. By the 1850s parts of the Cubo Line were nothing more than ditches. I imagine the section shown above is a reconstruction, but it’s very likely that the original wall had a similar appearance.

Fountain of Youth

 
I find this photo taken from the “Founders’ Walk” pier to be very peaceful. Overcast day, beautiful breeze, boat bobbing gently in the gentle waves, a zigzagging river, nobody in sight. Pure, heavenly, unadulterated Florida. Of course, I imagine the folks that own the boat wouldn’t like me taking it out for a spin . . . I promise I’ll bring it back! :-) The Founders’ Walk is, in my opinion, one of the prettiest spots in the city. The Fountain of Youth Park has grown and evolved so much in the 15 years I’ve been coming to St. Augustine. They have so much to offer, and I think the very best offerings are the ones that don’t involve any bells and whistles, just peaceful scenery and a chance to really enjoy what’s all around you.


(c) 2015-2016 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment