Thursday, May 14, 2015

May 15, 2015



Castillo de San Marcos


I love cannon. I love 350-year-old forts constructed during the Golden Age of Piracy. I love blue skies. And of course, I love St. Augustine. So naturally I gravitate toward the Castillo de San Marcos, and in all honesty, if left to my own devices, I could probably spend hours here with no problem. Boredom certainly wouldn’t be a concern. Here we’re standing in a room once used for subsidy supply storage. I can just imagine burly Spaniards heaving supplies off the ships at the harbor and carrying them up hill to the fort where they would be kept in one of many rooms set aside for storage.

Fountain of Youth


As I’ve said before, the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park offers something St. Augustine’s other historical and commercial attractions don’t: peace and relaxation. How can you stand on a bright sunny day and look at an aesthetically-pleasing, rippling pond without feeling your pulse slow and your mind turn to delightful mush? Even without the critters that used to reside in the pond, it’s still a great place to take in nature, to appreciate Florida beauty without any gimmicks. Just in this photo alone, you’ve got palm trees, a reconstructed thatch dwelling, and a replica of a 16th century Spanish mission church. Doesn’t get any better than this. (At least if you’re a history nerd, which I unabashedly consider myself to be . . .)


(c) 2015 St. Augustine Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment