Thursday, April 13, 2017

April 14, 2017



 St. George Street


The pedestrian-only shopping district of St. George Street offers so much more than shopping. There are so many little nooks and crannies and alcoves and artsy details if you know where to look, and on my last trip I discovered these two beautiful fountains behind a shop. The photo doesn’t really do it justice, as the fountain the front was constantly burbling in a gentle stream and was very interesting to watch. The blue fence and shutter and the old-fashioned brick path add to the aestheticism of this relaxing little area. Unfortunately, we were on our way out and didn’t have the time to explore more thoroughly.

Fountain of Youth


If you’ve visited the Fountain of Youth recently, you might know that a Spanish chalupa was built on park grounds and placed in the Matanzas River. This is my first attempt at a close-up, which reveals the boat’s name: San Agustín. From 1565 to 1763, and again from 1784 to 1821, this was the town’s official name, sometimes listed in official documents as “San Agustín de la Florida.” I’m still not sure whether it was pronounced “San a-GUSS-teen” or “San AW-goo-STEEN.” I’m not too fond of conjuring a 16TH century Spaniard to tell me the proper pronunciation, either. I hear they were only hospitable toward a particular demographic, and as I don’t meet that criterion, I’ll have to make do with guesswork. 


(c) 2015-2017 St. Augustine Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment