Thursday, September 10, 2015

September 11, 2015



**Please join me in remembering the victims of September 11, 2001, and in keeping their friends and family in your thoughts**

St. Augustine Beach

  
As I may have said before, I’m not much of a beach person, but I do love watching the ocean. There’s just something magical about the sound of the waves and the smell of the fresh salt air and the cool breeze . . . I already love St. Augustine’s history and culture, and the chance to visit the ocean only enhances the vacation experience. You may be surprised to learn that it was pretty chilly that day, as it is much of the time when I visit. Florida may be the land of sunshine, but it has its fair share of cold, windy, rainy days . . . and I’ll admit there were many years when my warmest winter coat felt really, really good. :-)

The “Oldest House”


If you like history and love exploring old houses, the Gonzalez-Alvarez House is the place for you. (Yes, I realize that sounded like a commercial). Affectionately known as the “Oldest House”, the lower level of the house, seen here, dates from the early 1700s. This is how the room might have looked when the Gonzalez lived and died within these walls. Note the hanging shelf to keep critters off the food, the beautiful wooden piece of furniture, and the various religious objects.


(c) 2015 St. Augustine Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment